kiki
So over a month after I have moved in I finally made a full meal in my kitchen and it was actually pretty delicious. I stole it from Just Vegging Out after I saw the post on TasteSpotting and I happened to have most of the ingredients already in my fridge. I modified the original recipe so that I didn't have to buy anything else, but you can find the original recipe here.




Couscous Eggplant Rolls:

1 cup couscous
1 cup chicken stock
1 large eggplant, sliced long ways into 1/4 inch peices
Half an onion
Handful of spinach leaves
1 cup tomato sauce
1 cup mozzarella cheese
Olive oil for cooking
  1. Wash eggplant and slice it into 1/4 inch pieces, then lay it out onto a baking sheet lightly covered in olive oil. Brush olive oil on the other side of the eggplant as well. Bake uncovered in a 400 degree oven for ten minutes, then flip and cook for another 10 minutes. 
  2. While its in the oven prepare the couscous using chicken stock instead of water by following the packages instructions. As it is cooking saute some onions and then add to the finished couscous.
  3. Take the eggplant out of the oven and put a spoonful of couscous on one end of the the egplant strip and then add several pieces of spinach. *Note- I didn't actually make rolls because after one try where it fell apart everywhere I realized it was impossible. So I just folded the eggplant over like a sandwich.
  4. Cover the pan in tinfoil and cook for another 10 to 15 minutes.
  5. Uncover the pan and spoon tomato sauce over each eggplant and then cover with mozzarella. Return to the oven uncovered and cook until the cheese is brown and bubbly. 
I served it with angel hair pasta covered in butter and garlic. It was very tasty and I would definitely make it again, but I think I would add something like a fruit salad because there was a lot of salt. Also, I might just use two pieces of eggplant to make more like a sandwich next time so it wouldn't fall apart as easily when I plated it. Plus, it would make a heartier serving for the man in the house.
0 Responses

Post a Comment